M&A enables faster realisation of growth through access to new markets, sales and distribution channels, new capabilities, or by simplifying and optimising infrastructure, operations and costs.
Refining corporate portfolios through disposals also creates value to re-orient and re-invest.
Successful execution of M&A, however, is elusive – many mergers and acquisitions fail.
- KPMG Strategy helps create value by challenging conventional thinking, bringing real industry insights and 'investor-grade' rigour, and providing on-the-ground support. KPMG Strategy's approach focuses on the key deal questions, such as:
- What is the role of M&A in our strategy?
- How can I balance my risk appetite with the potential upside opportunity?
- How will the target enable new, sustainable growth?
- How valuable and overlapping is the customer base? Are sales channels profitable?
- In what direction could this deal take the new organization?
- Are the target’s capabilities and infrastructure well understood?
- Which opex and capex synergies / improvements are really achievable and by when?
- How significant are integration (or separation) challenges / costs likely to be?
- How resilient are the target’s financial, business and operating models in the face of digital disruption?
KPMG Strategy provides strategic, operational and financial advice that assists our clients’ with decisions on where to invest, uncovers new opportunities, and provides rigorous strategic support pre, during and post deal, including:
- Mode of entry strategies (build, buy, partner)
- Target identification and evaluation
- Buy- and sell-side (vendor) commercial and operational due diligence
- Synergy (revenue and cost) identification and due diligence
- JV and partnership strategy
- Exit strategies, divestments and carve-outs
- Commercial IPO support
- Integration / separation planning and execution