Forest Products companies that are agile and innovate can face the significant trade, pricing and environmental challenges posed to their industry.
Forest Products companies that are agile and innovate can face the challenges they face.
The Forest Products industry continues to face significant challenges, including variable commodity prices, trade barriers, labour concerns, and environmental scrutiny. Economic drivers, such as fluctuating housing starts in Canada and the United States, and foreign exchange volatility, add a second layer of factors that need to be considered. To be successful in this marketplace, companies should remain agile, innovative, and focused.
A combination of regulation, stakeholder pressure, and voluntary action is resulting in companies incorporating sustainability and environmental concerns into their business strategies and processes. The global issue of climate change is having an impact on a national and local level as companies are beginning to focus their attention on the need for sustainable business development.
KPMG has an in-depth understanding of the Canadian forest products industry. We've worked with clients on a number of projects, including:
- Planning for the sustainable management of forestlands
- Auditing forestlands and operations for compliance with various types of certification
- Providing due diligence by professionals with on-the-ground experience
- Assessing the impact of trade duties on exported timber and forest products
- Developing effective tax structures for corporate tax, and special partnerships
- Identifying and implementing cost optimization approaches
- Implementation and conversion to International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
KPMG has a team of professional foresters and biologists, experienced auditors, tax and financial advisers, and environmental systems practitioners who can help forest products companies understand their strategic issues and how they can resolve them.
Stay up to date with what matters to you
Gain access to personalized content based on your interests by signing up todaySign up today