Our vision is to enhance knowledge of climate change impacts and support greater climate resilience in Australia’s economy, environment and society.
We increase awareness of climate change while reducing our impact to net zero emissions.
KPMG recognises that climate change is a global issue that affects all people, communities and organisations.
KPMG International is a global signatory to the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) and KPMG Australia is a founding member of the UNGC Network Australia. Consistent with the environmental principles of the UNGC, KPMG is committed to:
- supporting a precautionary approach to environmental challenges
- undertaking initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility
- encouraging the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
Delivering on our commitments – the Global Climate Response
In 2008 KPMG International announced the Global Climate Response, the first public global strategy by a Big Four firm in response to climate change and other environmental challenges focused on reducing our carbon emissions globally.
Our Climate Change Response
Climate Change Strategy FY18-22
In 2017, we launched KPMG Australia’s first climate change strategy. The Strategy set out our vision and commitments for addressing climate change and achieving a net carbon emissions per FTE reduction target of 10 percent by 2020.
By 2020 we had surpassed many of our targets and used the principles and milestones of the Strategy to form our new Climate Action Plan (CAP). The CAP is our commitment to being a net zero emissions organisation with a new set of ambitious targets to FY22.
The Climate Action Plan is designed to:
- Reduce our carbon footprint to net zero emissions – We commit to being a carbon neutral organisation through the purchase of accredited offsets and will continue to reduce the impact of our operations (energy, water, paper, waste) and invest in 100 percent renewable sources of energy by 2022.
- Drive Cultural Change – We will empower our people to take climate action by enhancing their knowledge on climate change impacts and encouraging low carbon practices both at work and at home
- Engage our people and our clients – We will engage our people and our clients with a succinct market position on climate change, enhancing their knowledge of climate risk and considering climate alignment in our client engagements, memberships and sponsorships
- Report our impact and climate performance – We will report our climate change performance through our Global Climate Response (GCR) requirements, by expanding our transparency reporting and externally verifying our carbon data.
- Invest in emerging sustainable technology and enterprises – We will invest in the scale-up of emerging technology from community partners, start-ups and social enterprises to drive greater carbon positive impact for society and our planet.