KPMG's Mining professionals assist organisations through all stages of the mining project lifecycle, from exploration to production.
Our Mining professionals assist organisations through all stages of mining projects.
Market developments are defining the dynamics of growth for mining companies in what may be the 'post boom' era. The prolonged period of strong demand and very high commodities prices has ended – against this backdrop growth continues to be a function of outbound expansion and inbound investment.
This is resulting in a range of challenges for the mining industry:
- Improving productivity to increase volumes and reduce costs for mining companies already in operation.
- Developing and implementing strategies for growth, mergers and acquisitions, innovation, and operating models to drive value.
- Understanding complex regulatory and policy changes (e.g. tax reforms, carbon pricing)
- Expanding into Asia and African regions which will require real expertise, insight and understanding of these regions, and their economic, business and regulatory landscapes to fully realise their growth ambitions, while managing sovereign risk issues.
- Understanding how to react to the changing price of commodities through a greater understanding of the underlying cost drivers to enable closer alignment of cost to output.
- Managing regulatory approvals and permits to develop, especially for companies with new project to fund and develop.
- Preparing and planning for operations – to ensure a smooth transition from design and construction.
- Finding risk capital to invest into a high cost environment for new projects, particularly as the exchange rate starts to move around.
- Preparing for increased automation, which will continue to emerge as a core focus and present a major operating shift for Australian mining companies.
How we can help
KPMG helps organisations and people to discover new ideas to grow and manage risk, and to deliver fundamentally better results through different ways of operating.
We offer global connectivity through 14 dedicated Mining Centres in key locations, including Australia, that work to deliver commercially astute solutions across all aspects of a mining business’s strategy – growth, performance, assurance, sustainability and integrated tax.
For more information visit Global Mining Institute.