Revival of the Tourism Sector
- The BEST Plan is a scheme for hotels and tourism facilities to help mitigate the impact of COVID-19 on these entities. The funds under the plan will primarily be distributed through investment in the companies by way of a class of shares that mirrors preference shares, and there will be some limited opportunities for grants. The resources will be available to the extent that tourism numbers and revenues remain below the levels required for the survival of the sector; and that firms adhere to certain conditions.
Key measures and conditions
- Government will invest in tourism firms which will enable these entities to re-engage all of their workers on 80 per cent of their normal salary for up to two years, should the need arise.
- A transformation of the tourism sector is required by committing to greening through water conservation and water harvesting measures where applicable, and the installation of renewable energy capacity, to reduce reliance on fossil fuels.
- A review of processes, payments and systems is required to ensure the firms’ suitability in today’s world and where necessary, to undertake a digitization of the same.
- An upskilling of workers is necessary - training will be provided by the National Training Initiative to workers in the areas needed for their specific jobs, and also for softer skills that will be provided through citizenship education.
- Renewable energy, direct and indirect tourism services, entertainment and culture, agriculture, water conservation, technology