Over the past months, as call centers across the globe have had to mobilize urgently to respond to a surge of inquiries under the added strain of reduced staff and/or remote working conditions, text based chatbots have been successfully deployed to take up the slack – deployed at scale for multiple use cases for rapid response and recovery across different industry sectors. For example:
- Medical and health insurance companies have built chatbots to provide specific COVID-19 advice.
- Specialist retailers have deployed chatbots to meet an increased demand for fulfilling customer prescriptions online.
- Governments have relied on chatbots to process new unemployment claims.
- In the US, banks have used chatbots to handle a deluge of questions regarding loans and grants mandated by the government’s emergency Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
- In the education sector chatbots have helped homebound students get access to the equipment they need to continue their studies online.