Belgium: Temporary VAT rate reduction for face masks, supplies of electricity, gas, and heat (COVID-19)
Belgium extended reduced rates of VAT for face masks, supplies of electricity, gas, and heat
Belgium extended reduced rates of VAT for face masks, supplies of electricity, gas, heat
The Belgian Council of Ministers (on 24 June 2022) extended reduced rates of value added tax (VAT) for:
- Mouth masks and hydroalcoholic gels – 6% until end of 2022: The application of the 6% VAT rate for the supply, intra-community acquisition and import of mouth masks and hydroalcoholic gels used in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) will be extended from 1 July until 31 December 2022
- Electricity, gas and heat – winter months of 2022 also covered:
- The application of the 6% VAT rate for the supply of electricity under residential contracts will be extended until 31 December 2022. This temporary measure is currently applicable until 30 September 2022.
- The application of the 6% VAT rate for the supply of natural gas and heat through heating networks and heat pumps will be extended for the period from 1 August 2022 until 31 December 2022. In addition, distinction is no longer made between supplies on the basis of the underlying contracts.
- The reduced VAT rate for certain transactions concerning heat pumps will not apply to hybrid installations that partly make use of an energy source other than electricity.
Read a June 2022 report prepared by the KPMG member firm in Belgium
The KPMG name and logo are trademarks used under license by the independent member firms of the KPMG global organization. KPMG International Limited is a private English company limited by guarantee and does not provide services to clients. No member firm has any authority to obligate or bind KPMG International or any other member firm vis-à-vis third parties, nor does KPMG International have any such authority to obligate or bind any member firm. The information contained herein is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavor to provide accurate and timely information, there can be no guarantee that such information is accurate as of the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. No one should act on such information without appropriate professional advice after a thorough examination of the particular situation. For more information, contact KPMG's Federal Tax Legislative and Regulatory Services Group at: + 1 202 533 4366, 1801 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20006.