Australia: Guidance on claiming temporary full expensing and loss carryback
Australia: Claiming temporary full expensing
The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) issued guidance for businesses claiming temporary full expensing and loss carryback in their 2020-21 tax returns.
As explained in the ATO guidance, to claim or opt-out of either measure, certain information is required.
- Temporary full expensing:
- Whether the taxpayer is making a choice to opt-out of temporary full expensing for some, or all of, the eligible assets
- The number of assets the taxpayer is claiming or opting-out for
- The value of the assets (if applicable)
- The total amount of the taxpayer’s temporary full expensing deduction
- Whether the taxpayer is using the alternative income test (corporate entities)
- Information about the taxpayer’s aggregated turnover
- Loss carryback:
- Opening and closing franking account balance
- Aggregated turnover for each loss year
- The amounts of the taxpayer’s tax losses that are being carried back
The KPMG name and logo are trademarks used under license by the independent member firms of the KPMG global organization. KPMG International Limited is a private English company limited by guarantee and does not provide services to clients. No member firm has any authority to obligate or bind KPMG International or any other member firm vis-à-vis third parties, nor does KPMG International have any such authority to obligate or bind any member firm. The information contained herein is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavor to provide accurate and timely information, there can be no guarantee that such information is accurate as of the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. No one should act on such information without appropriate professional advice after a thorough examination of the particular situation. For more information, contact KPMG's Federal Tax Legislative and Regulatory Services Group at: + 1 202 533 4366, 1801 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20006.