Italy: Tax measures separately accompanying Budget Law for 2020 in “tax decree”
Italy: Tax measures separately accompanying Budget Law
Law Decree no. 124 of October 2019 was “converted” into law in late December 2019.
Among the income tax-related measures in the “law decree” are the following items:
- Specific rules introduced with regard to the transfer of tax liabilities to a third party and a rule blocking the use of offsets
- Changes to the tax offsetting rules (under which tax credits declared in income tax and regional tax on productive activities (IRAP) returns can be offset)
- Changes to the tax treatment of trusts
The law decree also sets forth measures concerning:
- The time for taxpayers to resolve or settle their tax debts without penalties or interest
- Property tax on offshore platforms when located within 12 miles of Italy’s coast
- Increased penalties for criminal tax violations
Read a January 2020 report [PDF 215 KB] prepared by the KPMG member firm in Italy
The KPMG name and logo are trademarks used under license by the independent member firms of the KPMG global organization. KPMG International Limited is a private English company limited by guarantee and does not provide services to clients. No member firm has any authority to obligate or bind KPMG International or any other member firm vis-à-vis third parties, nor does KPMG International have any such authority to obligate or bind any member firm. The information contained herein is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavor to provide accurate and timely information, there can be no guarantee that such information is accurate as of the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. No one should act on such information without appropriate professional advice after a thorough examination of the particular situation. For more information, contact KPMG's Federal Tax Legislative and Regulatory Services Group at: + 1 202 533 4366, 1801 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20006.