close
Share with your friends

Germany: Currency hedging gains, tax consolidation across borders

Germany: Currency hedging gains

A report from the KPMG member firm in Germany summarizes the following developments:

1000

Related content

  • The German cabinet approved a draft bill that would implement an EU directive (DAC 6) that aims to identify and reduce tax avoidance practices by requiring intermediaries to comply with certain disclosure requirements of cross-border arrangements.
  • The German federal tax court (BHF) issued a judgment in a case concerning the tax exemption on gains by a corporation on the sale of shares in another corporation (5% of the gains are deemed non-deductible business expenses, and the remaining 95% are treated as exempt from corporate income tax). In the case, the federal tax court held that gains on forward exchange transactions must be taken into account when determining tax-exempt capital gains if and to the extent that the forward exchange contracts are concluded to hedge the foreign exchange risk related to the expected proceeds on the sale.
  • A lower tax court (Schleswig-Holstein) issued a decision generally concluding that the German tax consolidation regulations were not in violation of the EU freedom of establishment.


Read a November 2019 report [PDF 360 KB] prepared by the KPMG member firm in Germany

The KPMG logo and name are trademarks of KPMG International. KPMG International is a Swiss cooperative that serves as a coordinating entity for a network of independent member firms. KPMG International provides no audit or other client services. Such services are provided solely by member firms in their respective geographic areas. KPMG International and its member firms are legally distinct and separate entities. They are not and nothing contained herein shall be construed to place these entities in the relationship of parents, subsidiaries, agents, partners, or joint venturers. No member firm has any authority (actual, apparent, implied or otherwise) to obligate or bind KPMG International or any member firm in any manner whatsoever. The information contained in herein is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavor to provide accurate and timely information, there can be no guarantee that such information is accurate as of the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. No one should act on such information without appropriate professional advice after a thorough examination of the particular situation. For more information, contact KPMG's Federal Tax Legislative and Regulatory Services Group at: + 1 202 533 4366, 1801 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20006.

Connect with us

 

Want to do business with KPMG?

 

loading image Request for proposal