Ralph has substantial experience working on projects that involve strategic alignment of finance to the business, technology enabled finance transformation, product cost and profitability analysis, and performance measurement. He specializes in helping companies implement their strategies by aligning their financial, operational, and performance management processes and systems with an emphasis on competitive advantage, cost reduction, profit improvement, and risk reduction.
- Led the creation of a future state vision for financial close, consolidation, and reporting for a $20 billion metals and manufacturing company. Effort focused on designing a future state corporate close/consolidation vision involving over 100 divisional trial balances. Scope of work included the creation of a new COA structures and improvements to the intercompany process. Project included a software selection between HFM and BPC.
- Led the development and supported the implementation of a Global Product Costing Process to simplify the process and increase analytic capability at a major agricultural and chemical company. Project required global standardization around process, governance, data, and technology. New functionality was developed in both the companies SAP single instance and their Hyperion Planning environment.
- Facilitated the review and development of a finance transformation roadmap for a large finance services company. The project included a finance strategy, "as-is" and "to-be" competency maturity models, future state initiatives, and finance roadmap. Initiative tracks included finance applications, organization model, policies and procedures, budgeting and forecasting, shared services, and chart of accounts.
- Designed and implemented a finance transformation supported by a Hyperion HFM upgrade. Tracks included process improvements around the close, management reporting, and intercompany process. HFM track focused on exploiting new application functionality to support improved processes and reconciling financial warehouse with operational warehouse located in a Business Objects environment.
- Redesigned and implemented improvements to the product line forecasting process for a division of a major automotive supplier. Focus of effort was to incorporate this forecasting process as part of the monthly close process, reduce the days to produce by six days, and increase the consistency and accuracy of the information.
- Facilitated the review of the monthly close process for a $16 billion international conglomerate. Reduced divisional close cycles by 40 to 50 percent and prepared organization for an upgrade to their current consolidation tool.
- Re-designed the inventory process for a large printing company. The focus of the effort encompassed creating a custom process and technology solution that would document proper WIP and F/G inventory balances in the context of a very complicated revenue recognition process. The scope of work included design through implementation.
- Performed multi-year project for a major automotive company’s finance organization to implement a comprehensive cost reduction and performance management initiative. Drove millions of dollars in savings and efficiency improvements. This project was recognized by a competitor of KPMG as a “best in class” example in a major business publication.
- Reviewed budgeting and sales forecasting process for a service company. Outlined process and analytical changes in managing sales pipeline, simplified and increased accuracy of the process by which they produce their eight quarter rolling forecast. Identified improvements in accuracy, information consistency, and controls by leveraging additional capabilities with their current system.
- Performed “cost-to-serve” analysis for industrial, automotive, consumer products, insurance, banking, utility, and chemical companies.