Christopher has substantial experience leading and coordinating large scale accounting and finance engagements on subject areas including accounting operations, regulatory reporting, project management, interest rate risk management, complex financial instrument valuation, and debt and derivatives accounting. He also has extensive experience with internal controls design, implementation, documentation, and testing.
- Led KPMG Global Credit Loss Accounting Solution (“gCLAS”) proof of concept for IFRS 9 and CECL Model impairment accounting changes including life of asset probability of default and prepayment calculations, cash flow forecasting, stage assignment impairment accounting automation and management reporting at large Canadian bank including retail and commercial loans and debt securities on a 10MM asset count sample.
- Led IFRS 9 impairment and CECL readiness assessment at a global financial services company headquartered in the US with international lending operations in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, and Mexico. Readiness assessment included key decisions impact analysis, risk model and data gap analysis, and implementation business requirements review.
- Led IFRS effective interest rate projects on loans, debt securities and other financial instruments. Specifically, U.S. domiciled clients with European parent companies required KPMG to compute the differences in effective interest income for consolidated financial reporting.
- Led KPMG Effective Yield Model enhancement projects related to purchased credit impaired and originated whole loans, loss share and foreclosed property income and impairment accounting at regional banks, finance companies and mortgage REIT. Engagement activities included KPMG five phase model development life cycle; reconciliation of data extracts, model results and general ledger; and model process and control infrastructure design and implementation. System implementation features included PCI accounting under U.S. GAAP, IFRS, Tax and regulatory reporting.
- Assisted clients with their quarterly purchased credit impaired loan expected cash flow forecasting. Developed life of loan probability of default and prepayment curves, loss severity, recovery lags, exposure at default and expected cash flows based on client specific acquired loan portfolio data on a quarterly basis. Performed valuation and impairment projects of hard to price or illiquid fixed income assets including impaired whole loans, loss share assets, auction rate securities, collateralized loan obligations, commercial mortgage backed securities, student loan asset backed securities, interest rate and foreign exchange derivatives, derivative credit valuation adjustment, and mortgage servicing assets.
- Led ASC 310-20 direct incremental origination cost review at a super-regional west coast bank and performed financial statement deferred cost and amortization impact assessment associated with the findings. Activities included identifying gaps with legacy cost per loan, adjusting the cost per loan amount by loan type, generating amortization schedules per loan, and comparing income statement variance.
MUFG Union Bank, American Express, Key Bank, PNC Bank, TD Bank, Toyota Financial, Banco Popular, Columbia Bank, PlainsCapital Bank, New York Mortgage Trust, and PayPal.