The competition, which is now in its fifth year, is run by professional services firm KPMG who reviewed more than 180 applications to come up with a shortlist of 32 innovative UK businesses who will pitch their business to a panel of industry experts at five events across the country.
The shortlisted businesses are as follows:
- Exo Investing leverages technology to make personalised wealth management accessible to everyone.
- Garrison Technology has pioneered an innovative security platform to counter the threat of persistent and targeted attacks which exploit corporate Internet connectivity.
- GTN is based at Google Campus and combines machine learning and quantum physics, using their unique patented technology, Generative Tensorial Networks, to efficiently discover innovative new drug-like molecules.
- Hummingbird Technologies is an artificial intelligence business, using imagery and data analytics from UAV, satellite and plane technology, together with machine learning and computer vision techniques, to provide farmers with high resolution crop maps.
- SenSat make it possible for computers to understand the real-world world by creating highly detailed simulated realities.
- Trint, based in Whitechapel, uses artificial intelligence to power its web-based automated transcription platform.
- yulife in Camden Town, is a pioneering lifestyle insurance company. It brings together life insurance, wellbeing and rewards in one simple app.
- ZigZag Global is a software solution to help ecommerce retailers manage returns domestically and globally.
- Aeristech specialises in the commercialisation of systems employing ultra-high speed motors and compressors. Its patent protected, variable speed motor technology, using rare earth magnets and high-speed low-cost switching devices, aims to be more powerful, faster and more efficient than any other in its class.
- brightLET is an innovative platform designed to connect the dots between landlords, tenants, and tradespeople. We use automation and bots to help landlords manage their properties themselves, saving them time and money in agent fees.
- eTravelSafety is paving the way for Travel Safety, demonstrating how leveraging modern technology can elevate the industry and allow anyone to travel safely. Our attitude focuses on replacing inefficient processes with solutions that help people stay safe, and make that job as easy as possible for everyone involved.
- Exposure Analytics is a market leader in experiential analytics for events and retail. We work with brands and agencies to evaluate the success of their activations, events and conferences.
- Grid Edge is an Artificial Intelligence startup company that provides AI software services to commercial building operators to empower them to intelligently optimise their building’s energy profile, and become active and empowered participants in the energy system.
- HausBots are building robots that build houses. Our first robot is a Wall Climbing Painting Robot, for use in large commercial and warehouse settings, helping to save money and increase site safety.
- Quanta Engineering is developing an air breathing ion engine for Earth and space applications. The engine aims to revolutionise the drone industry, launch vehicles and interplanetary transportation.
- Supermeal is an online takeaway discovery platform with 450+ restaurants and 5500+ consumers in the West Midlands.
- Donate The Change is a fintech company delivering a ‘plug and play’ API driven software platform. Triggered from any online, contactless, or chip & PIN payment Donate the Change automatically creates, processes and distributes micro-donations to a user's selected beneficiary at no cost.
- Gooseberry Planet is an award-winning educational software platform that supports and enhances curriculum delivery for Online Safeguarding in Primary Schools.
- Kymira is life-conscious technology company with the sole aim of enhancing people’s lives through innovation. They aim to blend technology and biology in perfect harmony to release the limitless potential of human ability.
- MeVitae leverages data-driven cognitive solutions to help solve the world’s biggest employment challenges, from increasing workplace diversity to global mobility.
- Open Cosmos provides simple and affordable space missions to help solve the world’s biggest challenges, enabling organisations from across a wide range of industries to use space technologies as a tool. Open Cosmos removes space access barriers by simplifying space technology, offering a one-stop-shop to orbit, reducing time and cost.
- Oxford Space Systems (OSS) is an award-winning space technology business that's pioneering the development of a new generation of deployable antennas and structures for the global satellite industry.
- Redbox Mobile is a full-service App Store Optimisation company with an innovative difference, Blackbox Platform. The Blackbox Platform is a fully automated paid search platform which gives users the ability to monitor their campaigns 24/7 and make changes at the click of a button.
- Serelay's Trusted Media Capture (TMC) technology enables any mobile device user to capture photos and videos which are inherently verifiable.
- AppLocum is a rapidly growing tech-enabled recruitment venture designed specifically for the healthcare industry. Through the app they can deliver a perfectly suited clinician to Surgeries or Treatment Centres in a fast, effective and hassle-free manner.
- CensorPic helps stop children sexting. Employing cutting edge machine learning technology, CensorPic can intelligently identify nudity and stop its creation being a pioneer in intelligent proactive, not reactive protection.
- MirrorWeb is a web & social media archiving and analytics company that helps public and private sector organisations comply with regulatory requirements to retain born digital content.
- Optalysys is developing optical AI systems designed to accelerate the most demanding deep learning and pattern recognition tasks at groundbreaking speeds but at a fraction of the energy consumption of traditional computing hardware.
- RapidSpike is a Digital Experience Monitoring Platform that interacts with digital platforms exactly as customers do. RapidSpike pinpoints critical platform issues and improvements by collating real time and synthetic data on customer interactions, system performance and security into clear compelling actionable insights.
- SPINR is a superfast, cloud-based, integration platform, providing real-time data and insight to any organisation. It can help make the process of integrating, cleansing and sharing data simple, efficient and accessible to all. SPINR is the straightforward choice for organisations that hold data across systems and silos that would be more powerful if brought together.
- WIFIPLUG is the smartest smart plug on the planet, works with Siri, Alexa, Google & Cortana, no bridge required. The only smart plug to pay for itself.Synap is an intelligent online training platform that helps organisations deliver personalised, effective and engaging training at scale.
- Synap breaks down training topics into easily digestible, 5-10 minute chunks tailored to each individual's strengths and weaknesses, helping them to learn more in less time.
Commenting on the competition, Patrick Imbach, head of KPMG’s innovative technology practice said:
“This competition offers local early and growth-stage businesses the opportunity to pitch in front of major industry players looking for the next potential startup to invest in, buy from, or form an alliance with. All of the shortlisted businesses demonstrate just how strong Britain is in building disruptive technologies and innovative business models. Some of these players could already be making a huge impact in their fields, others may be hidden gems getting ready to reveal themselves to the world. I am looking forward to hear their pitches at the competition and finding a business who will champion innovation from the UK.”
The competition’s alumni include SareToNet, What3Words and Echo and hundreds of millions have been raised by previous participants to date. The winners of the regional events will be flown to the Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona in February 2019 to compete for the title Best British Tech Startup 2019. They will also be provided with exhibition booths at the Four Years From Now (4YFN) conference to showcase their businesses and get access to the Mobile World Congress.
The competition provides an unrivalled opportunity for British startups to raise their profile, gain access to investors, clients, corporate alliance partners and a booth to present their startup to over 100,000 industry players. The Mobile World Congress is one of the world’s largest annual technology industry gathering, organised by the GSMA. Last year the event attracted over 100,000 attendees from all parts of the world, including over 7,000 CEO participants, 2,000 exhibitors and 3,500 international media and analysts. Hundreds of investors attend the event in Barcelona all of whom are searching for the next unicorn to get involved with.
For further information contact:
Emma Murray, Communications Manager, KPMG UK
T : +44 (0)20 7694 6506
M : +44 (0)7920 870 623
E : Emma.Murray@kpmg.co.uk
KPMG LLP, a UK limited liability partnership, operates from 22 offices across the UK with approximately 16,300 partners and staff. The UK firm recorded a revenue of £2.338 billion in the year ended 30 September 2018. KPMG is a global network of professional firms providing Audit, Tax, and Advisory services. It operates in 154 countries and has 200,000 professionals working in member firms around the world. The independent member firms of the KPMG network are affiliated with KPMG International Cooperative ("KPMG International"), a Swiss entity. Each KPMG firm is a legally distinct and separate entity and describes itself as such.