Partner, Cyber Security in Financial Services
KPMG in the UK
Paul has led the delivery of some of the most demanding national security programmes in the UK, operating at the very highest levels of government. He is uniquely qualified to understand the evolving threat environment, as well as having an exceptional track record of driving and delivering change in complex organisations. Paul’s contribution to the world of science technology was recognised by his election as a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering in 2013.
Professional and Industry Experience
• Deputy Managing Director at AWE plc, responsible for providing the AWE Board and UK Ministry of Defence with assurance of delivery of the c£1Bn pa nuclear warhead programme.
• Director General of Technology and Chief Information Officer (CIO) in a Central Government Department, where he was a member of both ExCo and the main board. Paul carried responsibility for technical operations worldwide and for the development and protection of the capabilities to conduct them.
• Director General of Strategic Technologies and then Director General of Equipment in MOD. Senior Responsible Owner (SRO) for the UK’s Future Nuclear Deterrent. Paul had responsibility for the Defence equipment programme, and for delivery of Urgent Operational requirements to British Forces in Iraq and Afghanistan.
• Paul was the first Chief Executive of the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL). The post carried responsibility for all elements of defence research and the 3000 staff that were retained within government following the split of MOD R&D activities into QinetiQ and DSTL.
• Prior to this, he was the Director of Chemical and Biological Defence at Porton Down, with operational and line responsibility for the site and all its activities and people.
• A member of a number of Government Technical Committees, Paul also chairs the Advisory Board of the Imperial College Institute of Security Science and Technology.
• He is currently working at board level with a number of global retail and investment banks to address their cyber and information protection challenges.
• Paul leads KPMG’s Information Protection and Business Resilience practice in the UK.
BSc Chemical Engineering
Fellow of Harvard University
Fellow of Royal Academy of Engineering
Aerospace and Defense
Intelligence and Security
Government and Public Sector