Matthew is a tax disputes lawyer in the KPMG Law team. He is a dual-qualified in the United Kingdom and New Zealand and is also a Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) qualified mediator. Matthew’s primary focus is on providing advice to clients on tax disputes, litigation and complex technical matters in respect of VAT, international trade, customs duty and other indirect taxes (including Excise duty and gaming duties).
Matthew has worked the last 14 years in London and prior to that worked in New Zealand.
Typical projects include:
- Advising clients in relation to dispute resolution and litigation strategy
- Achieving settlement / resolution of long running disputes with HMRC
- Facilitating Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Providing advice in respect of the tax implications of International Trade and Brexit
- Management of various cases before the First-tier Tribunal and Upper Courts
- Bringing Judicial Review proceedings on behalf of clients
- Drafting Instructions to Counsel in respect of a variety of complex Indirect Tax matters
- Advising clients in respect of VAT, customs duty and excise duty issues arising from the introduction of new products and technologies and changes to existing business practises
- Advising on FTAs and other trade agreements