As this crisis impacts every aspect of our lives, we believe that our support for communities must be focused. Our actions and strategy for all COVID-19 community engagements are guided by five principles:
- Safeguard our people and our communities.
- Ensure everything we do is needs driven.
- Leverage our core competencies as a professional services organisation.
- Build on established societal relationships.
- Coordinate across our network and with external stakeholders.
Here are some of our COVID-19 special projects that we championed in 2020:
- In March, we are heartened to have been able to be a part of Temasek Foundation’s Stay Prepared initiative, #BYOBclean, where our staff volunteers contributed their time and efforts to ensure households in Singapore are provided with alcohol-free sanitisers to help combat the virus.
- In April, the firm donated laptops to students from underprivileged backgrounds to ensure that learning does not stop as many institutions embarked on home-based learning.
KPMG folks across the firm also stepped up to volunteer their skills and time in the SG Enable virtual CV clinic initiative. Staff volunteers provided people with special needs with advice and feedback on their resumes to support them in finding employment in challenging times like this.
In addition, a few of our staff volunteers took part in SG Enable's Connexions, along with participants from other firms. A virtual training and career fair was also held for persons with disabilities to network with industry professionals and employers.
- In May, staff from across the firm came together to raise funds to provide basic grocery and meals to vulnerable families in Potong Pasir and Jurong. Collectively, we raised a total of S$82,000 to help them tide over this challenging period where many are facing job lose, family violence and conflict.
- In November, we supported Temasek Foundation’s initiative, Project Resilience, by donating reusable masks to various vulnerable communities through our charity partners.
These partners included It's Raining Raincoats, HOME, Metta Welfare Association, TOUCH Community Services, New Hope Community Services, Bizlink Centre and MINDS.
Besides donating to charities, we wanted to tap on our extensive employee network to reach out to the wider community. Our staff were encouraged to pick up and distribute the masks to vulnerable communities around them.
- Our staff members joined the Singapore government in its battle against COVID-19 in two initiatives – Project Safe Distancing and the SG Clean campaign. Both initiatives saw our staff helping to uplift sanitation and hygiene standards in the tourism sector.