Pavel has been specialising in tax law more than 15 years, providing multinational clients with tax advice and resolving their tax disputes. In the past 10 years Pavel has developed an additional specialty in the legislation governing oil and gas companies operating in hydrocarbon fields, covering subsoil and continental shelf activities, production sharing agreements (PSAs), etc.
Pavel is an expert on the Energy Committee in the State Duma of the Russian Federation, as well as an expert at the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs, working in the Committee on Tax Policy and the Committee on Energy Policy and Energy Efficiency.
Pavel’s recent projects:
- prepared a Protocol to the legal agreement of an international agreement regulating the implementation of a large oil and gas project
- developed a draft Federal Law that introduced new types of contractual relations into the Civil Code of the Russian Federation and a draft Federal Law amending the Tax Code of the Russian Federation. Supported the client in discussions with the Russian Ministry of Energy and the Ministry of Finance
- structuring and analysing the tax consequences arising from acquisition by a foreign investor of a stake in a large oil and gas project as part of an M&A transaction, including preparing a tax model, structuring the client’s entry, financing, ensuring return on investment, and planning exit from the project
- analysed the contractual structure for implementation of a large oil and gas project, and then developed recommendations to amend the contractual documents for the offshore field operator with future contractors in order to deal with tax implications and reduce tax risks
- drafted two expert opinions for an American major oil producer dispute with the Russian Federation at the Stockholm International Court of Arbitration regarding the applicable corporate income tax rate for the Sakhalin-1 PSA
In the Media
Comments for Neftegaz.ru on the tax system specifics of the fuel and energy sector.
Comments for Neftegaz.ru on the specifics of the Norwegian model of working on shelves.
An article for Oil & Capital on excess profits tax proposed by the Russian Finance Ministry.
Comments for RBC on continental shelf legislation applicable to the Caspian Region.
Comments for Interfax.ru about the US sanctions.
Comments for Eastrussia.ru on priority development areas investment regulations and free ports on the Far East.