Operating strategy & cost
Operating strategy & cost
Helping clients align their operating model to their financial targets, strategic objectives and efficiency imperatives.
Aligning operating models with execution
KPMG’s Operating Strategy & Cost services support member firm clients to identify, quantify, prioritize and deliver the changes required to align their operating model to their financial targets and strategic objectives, delivering rapid improvement in performance and value.
With ever-increasing customer expectations, rapid market and technological change, disruptions from new entrants, increasing levels of regulation and eputational risk, along-side ever greater shareholder scrutiny on performance, business leaders are being forced to continually re-evaluate their operational strategy and ask themselves the key question as to whether they are organized in the optimal way to deliver their business strategy and maximize shareholder value.
The Operating Strategy & Cost proposition helps clients address this challenge through a structured approach to identify, prioritize and implement changes to their operating model and refinements of their strategy and targets.
There are a number of triggers which often cause businesses to re-assess their operating model including:
- significant changes in market, competitive dynamics, and / or business strategy
- performance and funding gaps
- complex and inefficient operating model structures
- technologically or regulatory driven change.
KPMG firms support clients to increase value through successfully aligning their operating model to the business strategy and financial targets through:
- identifying the changes required to align the operating model to the business strategy and financial targets, including challenging strategic decisions that are potentially value diluting
- developing and testing a range of alternative operating model options to identify the optimal solution for their business, balancing opportunity and risk
- identifying, quantifying and prioritizing efficiency opportunities, to drive cost reduction and or free up funds for investment
- streamlining and aligning processes, organizational structures, management information, decision rights and incentives
- designing and sequencing a change program to successfully deliver the required changes.
Set against the backdrop of a European slowdown, low growth in market volumes and a legacy of acquired country brand organizations, the European region of a global beverage company was struggling to meet the group’s margin growth targets.
KPMG firms were engaged to run a rapid value diagnostic, identifying significant margin improvement opportunities and operating model changes, providing the client with a 3 year transformation program delivering ~$200 million per annum in improved margins.
A global precious metal mining company faced challenging macro-economic conditions, an oversupplied market, cost inflation and a deteriorating competitive position. KPMG firms were engaged to design an operating model to drive efficiency and alignment to market demand and strategic goals. The result was identification of ~$500 million per annum in value improvement opportunities.