Cyber Watch Report: Five Key Trends
Cyber Watch Report
KPMG’s Cyber Watch Report covers the top cyber trends affecting Canadian businesses and organizations.
Trends affecting Canadian organizations
The cyber threat landscape is highly irregular and ever-changing. Canadian businesses and public organizations realize their crown jewels essential assets are targets for threat actors ranging from individual hackers to criminal groups and state-sponsored players.
Be in a defensible position
To be in a cyber defensible position, organizations need to take a proactive and comprehensive approach to cyber risk management -- one that protects, detects and responds to new adversaries and tactics. Below are the five key trends we see in Canada, based on industry intelligence and interactions with clients.
- Increase an extortion-driven and ransomware incidents will increase.
- Pressure to disclose breaches and threat responses in a timely manner will intensify.
- Widespread use of mobile devices and adoption of the Internet of Things (IoT) brings a parallel increase in risk.
- Organizations will make greater use of real-time intelligence tools to monitor live attacks.
- Organizations will focus much more on risks posed by third-party vendors and suppliers.
Canadian organizations are challenged by the complexity of the shifting cyber security landscape, but awareness of risks and obligations at senior levels is growing. In 2016, we expect boards, audit committees, executives and public officials to ask more pointed questions to ascertain whether their organization is in a defensible position.
KPMG’s Cyber Team works with organizations to prevent, detect and respond to cyber threats.
We can help your organization be cyber resilient in the face of challenging conditions.
Cyber Emergency? Contact our 24/7 Cyber response hotline:
1-844-KPMG-911 / 1 (844) 576-4911
© 2022 KPMG LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership and a member firm of the KPMG global organization of independent member firms affiliated with KPMG International Limited, a private English company limited by guarantee. All rights reserved.
For more detail about the structure of the KPMG global organization please visit https://home.kpmg/governance.