In September 2015, 193 UN member states met in New York to adopt 17 new Global Goals for Sustainable Development, aimed at making our world more prosperous, inclusive, sustainable and resilient.
These Global Goals are an ambitious plan of action for people, planet and prosperity. They are universal, applying to all nations and people, seeking to tackle inequality and leave nobody behind. The ambition is to end extreme poverty and hunger by 2030.
KPMG International has been helping to shape the Global Goals with others in business and community organizations. Representatives from our member firms have convened and spoken at several side events of the four UN summits related to the Global Goals:
1. The World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (Sendai, March 2015)
2. The Conference on Financing for Development (Addis Ababa, July 2015)
3. The Summit to Adopt the Sustainable Development Goals (New York, September 2015)
4. Conference on Climate Change (Paris, December 2015)
KPMG International’s Global Development Initiative applies member firms’ skills, resources and influence in pursuit of the Global Goals (read Our Global Development Initiative Story for more information.
Our member firms’ people contribute to all 17 Global Goals through their client work. Our corporate citizenship programs particularly focus on Goal 4 ‘Quality Education’, Goal 8 ‘Good Jobs and Economic Growth’ and Goal 12 ‘Responsible Consumption’.
KPMG International is developing thought leadership and tools to inspire and equip organizations to increase their contribution to sustainable development. These include:
• Sustainable Development Goal Industry Matrix: KPMG International and the UNGC are developing seven industry matrices which provide industry-specific practical examples and ideas for action for each Global Goal. They profile opportunities where companies expect to create value for shareholders and for society.
• Boardroom Questions on the Global Goals for Sustainable Development: A two-page summary for management boards of what is happening, the implications and suggested considerations.
• Unlocking the Power of Partnership: A Framework for Effective Cross-Sector Collaboration: A publication providing insights on effective, transformative partnerships to deliver the Global Goals.
• 'Demystifying the Public Private Partnership Paradigm: The nexus between insurance, sustainability and growth': A publication launched at the inaugural UN Insurance Summit in New York in June 2015.