The new Trust Registration Service can now be accessed via GOV.UK.
Agents and trustees can now use the new service to register the following types of trusts:
- a trust that was set up after the settlor died;
- a trust created during their lifetime to gift or transfer assets;
- a trust for a building or building with tenants; and
- a trust for the repair of historic buildings.
Agents and trustees can also use the new service to take the following action in respect of a trust:
- view data held by HMRC;
- notify HMRC no changes have been made (declare no change);
- change trustee data;
- add new trustees;
- remove a trustee;
- change beneficiary details;
- add a new beneficiary;
- remove a beneficiary;
- add or change a settlor’s name;
- add or change a protector’s details;
- close a trust;
- clients can claim a trust (where a trust is registered by an agent); and
- clients can authorise an agent (establish a relationship with the agent).
If an agent or trustee needs to register one of the following types of trust:
- a trust through a Deed of Variation or family agreement; or
- a trust for the employees of a company,
this can currently be done by accessing the iForm. It should be possible to carry out these actions via the new service in due course.