Welcome to the latest edition of Horizons from KPMG's EMA Financial Services Risk & Regulatory Insight Centre (RRIC) – your ‘go to’ read for insights on financial services regulation from the perspective of the EMA region.
In this issue, we feature the following articles:
- 2020 vision: what lies ahead…: A rapidly changing world is causing regulators to update their strategies to address, amongst other issues, digital innovation, operational resilience and sustainable finance.
- The EU agenda for 2020: The three European Supervisory Authorities have issued a number of reports and papers – in addition to their work programmes for 2020 – indicating increased activity and areas of focus. The overarching message is that they intend to make full use of their new responsibilities and powers.
- Emerging crypto asset regulation: BigTech firms’ role in financial services, cross-border payment systems and the challenges of regulating crypto-assets are all hot topics – with regulators setting out approaches at a global, regional and national level.
- Operational Resilience “a shift in mindset”: Strengthening of financial institutions’ operational resilience remains a key priority for regulators. A raft of new guidelines and consultations were published in 2019, broadening the scope of regulatory scrutiny and pointing to increased supervisory activity.
- ESG Regulation: the race has begun: Political, social and investor pressure has led to the introduction of a swathe of new European rules, to be implemented in stages over the next three years, with more to come.
November 2019 (PDF 584KB)
July 2019 (PDF 2.9 MB)
May 2019 (PDF 504 KB)
January 2019 (PDF 1.1 MB)
October 2018 (PDF 705 KB)