The movement of goods across the globe is increasingly complex. Customs and Excise Duty may be payable on goods brought into Ireland from non- EU countries. Knowing which goods are affected, while staying on top of regulatory change, is crucial, as there are high penalties and commercial costs for non-compliance.
In addition, Brexit will trigger new customs and trade issues that are likely to be very challenging for businesses both sides of the border– many of which could be dealing with the customs regime for the first time. Rates of duty vary according to types of goods and their classification. Unlike VAT, Customs or Excise Duty is not recoverable. This means it’s a direct, and often substantial, cost to a business. Understanding how these taxes affect your operations is paramount.
At KPMG, our dedicated Trade and Customs team and global network of specialists can help. We’ll advise on efficient trade operations and optimised supply logistics. This will give you confidence in your risk management and regulatory trade compliance arrangements.
How can KPMG help?
We work with manufacturers, distributors and retailers to increase efficiency by:
- Undertaking Customs compliance reviews which evaluate your current needs, processes and determine any risks and issues.
- Identifying opportunities to reduce and to reclaim overpayments of duty
- Reducing the cost of duty by adopting efficient valuation methodologies
- Taking advantage of available reliefs
- Taking advantage of bonded warehousing, inward processing, free-trade zones and temporary imports.
- Assistance with analysing the customs issues on a supply chain level that Brexit may trigger. KPMG has developed bespoke Brexit software for this purpose.
- Advice and assistance with managing Revenue customs audits.
Clients turn to KPMG for our:
- Global network of over 300 duty and trade specialists, enabling us to deliver truly global and joined-up advice.
- Track record of realising duty savings for clients.
- Significant practical experience in designing and implementing customs management software solutions.
- Close collaboration with transfer pricing, legal and advisory colleagues to provide clients with seamless service.
- Expertise to deal with Brexit related issues arising in respect of trade between Ireland and the UK.