Harvey Nash / KPMG CIO Survey 2017
Harvey Nash / KPMG CIO Survey 2017
CIOs and technology leaders are navigating unpredictable change to help their organizations thrive.
In its 19th year, the Harvey Nash/KPMG CIO Survey 2017 is the largest global survey of IT leadership, with 4,500 responses from CIOs and technology executives across 86 countries.
In this year’s survey, technology leaders tell us that the level of change they are experiencing has reached unprecedented levels, and increasingly it is coming from unexpected corners. Many technology executives are turning this uncertainty into opportunity. They are helping their organizations become more nimble and digital, to navigate through unpredictable change, and to thrive in an uncertain world.
Download the Executive Summary (PDF 206 KB).
Some of the key findings include:
- Two-thirds of organizations are adapting their technology strategy because of unprecedented global political and economic uncertainty
- However, 89 percent are maintaining or ramping up investment in innovation, including in digital labor
- Digital strategies have been embraced by businesses at an entirely new level
- Cyber security vulnerability is at an all-time high
- Female CIOs are far more likely to have received a salary increase than male CIOs in the past year, but still the number of women in IT leadership remains extraordinarily low at 9 percent
- Enterprise architecture is the fastest growing tech skill in demand
- IT projects are more complex; and weak ownership, an overly optimistic approach, and unclear objectives are the main reasons IT projects fail.
Further analysis of the data also found a clear divergence between organizations that are effective at digital transformation and those that are not. CIOs at these ‘digital leader’ organizations are almost twice as likely to be leading innovation across the business, and their organizations are investing in cognitive automation at four times the rate of others.
Read the Executive Summary (PDF 206 KB).
View the CIO Survey Infographic (PDF 465 KB).
Read the KPMG Special Report on ‘digital leaders’ (PDF 280 KB).
Read the MIT CISR Special Report (PDF 378 KB).
Read the press release.
Download the full 2017 CIO Survey report (PDF 3.36 MB).
Below are summary reports analyzing the findings by industry sector:
- Banking Sector Report (PDF 272 KB)
- Broadcast / Media Sector Report (PDF 268 KB)
- Healthcare Sector Report (PDF 274 KB)
- Insurance Sector Report (PDF 271 KB)
- Local / State Government Sector Report (PDF 213 KB)
- Pharmaceuticals Sector Report (PDF 243 KB)
- Construction / Engineering Sector Report (PDF 253 KB)
- Manufacturing Sector Report (PDF 243 KB)
- Retail Sector Report (PDF 323 KB)
- Technology Sector Report (PDF 376 KB)
- Utilities Sector Report (PDF 304 KB)
- Energy Sector Report (PDF 338 KB)
CIO Survey 2018 – Open for submissions!
Now celebrating its 20th year, the Harvey Nash/KPMG CIO Survey 2018 is open for submissions. The survey takes 15-20 minutes to complete and all participants will receive:
— A full copy of the final report.
— A complimentary invite to one of our exclusive launch events held in 25 locations across the world.
— A Personal Benchmark Report – a document, unique to you, comparing your key survey responses with your CIO Peer group. Click here to view an example.
Last year almost 4,500 of your peers from 86 countries / regions took part, and benefited from insights to help with their business and career planning. We live in exciting times…but what does this mean for your function and your role? Find out by taking part in the 2018 Harvey Nash/KPMG CIO Survey.
Please note all information will be used for analysis purposes only and no responses will be attributed to individuals.
© 2021 Copyright owned by one or more of the KPMG International entities. KPMG International entities provide no services to clients. All rights reserved.
KPMG refers to the global organization or to one or more of the member firms of KPMG International Limited (“KPMG International”), each of which is a separate legal entity. KPMG International Limited is a private English company limited by guarantee and does not provide services to clients. For more detail about our structure please visit https://home.kpmg/governance.
Member firms of the KPMG network of independent firms are affiliated with KPMG International. KPMG International provides no client services. No member firm has any authority to obligate or bind KPMG International or any other member firm vis-à-vis third parties, nor does KPMG International have any such authority to obligate or bind any member firm.