Accounting for non-accountants
16 & 17 September 2021 | 9:00 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. | 6,5 CPD
16 & 17 September 2021 | 9:00 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. | 6,5 CPD
Please note that since the daily numbers of COVID-19 cases in Cyprus are still considered high, KPMG Academy will keep offering its trainings online until further notice, to ensure the safety of its clients and personnel. In case of considerable decrease in COVID-19 cases in Cyprus and if the level of contamination through physical gatherings becomes relatively low, webinars will be converted to face-to-face seminars. If so, this training will be conducted on 16 September 2021 (from 9:00 to 16:45) instead of 16 & 17 September 2021 (from 9:00 to 12:45). Further information will be communicated to you in due course.
In today’s demanding and fast-paced business world, it is considered imperative that non-accounting professionals and management staff have the necessary skills and knowledge to interpret accounting and financial data. The trainers of the seminar aim to provide participants with the basic skills and knowledge required to understand financial statements. They will also give participants the opportunity to familiarise themselves with the financial and investment appraisal factors, comprehend the process regarding how to prepare financial projections and gain basic knowledge on business valuations.
By the end of the seminar, participants will be able to:
- Acknowledge the basic tools for investment analysis and appraisal
- Explain the process of preparing financial projections
- Define the dates for tax and financial statements submission
- Apply the basic accounting and financial principles
- Check financial statements by calculating and explaining key financial ratios
- Encourage a risk basis approach to resolve and handle successfully any issues that may arise
- Adopt an approach to understanding simple accounting subjects from a non-accountant’s perspective.
The seminar is addressed to management staff, directors of departments and other relevant professionals who do not have basic accounting knowledge, do not deal with in-depth accounting matters or do not hold a qualification in accounting, such as lawyers, legal advisors, doctors, officers/managers in financial institutions (such as banks, insurance companies, etc.) and small business owners (such as hotel owners, restaurant owners, retail industry business owners).
*The number of participants is restricted to 28.
Join the webinar (8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.) *
Sessions (9:00 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. including two 15-min breaks between sessions)
1. Introduction: Seminar’s objectives (15 min)
- Assist participants to comprehend the basic principles of accounting
- Improve participants’ capacity in understanding the basic financial principles
2. Accounting and finance (1 hr and 15 min)
- “Accounting”, “Finance” and other useful definitions
- Fair values
- Business combinations
- A set of financial statements: contents
- Financial risks and credit risks
3. Financial statements (1 hr)
- The requirement to prepare financial statements
- A set of financial statements: contents
- Management report
- Auditors’ report
4. Financial ratios and investment appraisal (1hr and 15 min)
- Comprehending and investigating the balance sheet statement, profit or loss, other comprehensive income statement and cash flow statement
- Key financial ratios/indicators
- Ratio analysis & practical examples
- Investment appraisal & practical examples
5. Budgeting and forecasting (1 hr)
- Business life cycle
- Preparation of forecasts and budgets: Practical examples
6. Corporate finance (45 min)
- Business life cycle
- Business valuation – basic principles
- Creditworthiness and ability to borrow
7. Regulatory environment (45 min)
- Briefing on general tax framework
- Brief description of the tax income
- Tax compliance timeframe for legal entities
8. Conclusions (15 min)
Questions and answers
*Note: Please join the meeting 30 minutes prior to the webinar’s start time (join at 8:30 a.m.), in order to make sure that you do not face any connection or other technical issues.
If you wish to register for the webinar, please complete the registration form.
Once your registration is submitted, you will receive an email stating the participation fee, including any discounts, if applicable. Kindly note that the payment should be settled at least two days prior to the webinar’s date for your registration to be confirmed.
The programme has been approved by the HRDA. Enterprises participating with their employees who satisfy HRDA’s criteria, are entitled to subsidy. Please note that there are limited seats available, therefore enrol in this webinar as soon as possible.
If you do not receive our confirmation e-mail regarding your registration, your participation cannot be guaranteed.
€250 + VAT. Net investment after subsidy from the HRDA of €110,5: €187 (including VAT) for all eligible participants*
*Last Date for 10% Early Bird Discount: 01/09/2021
- For more than two (3+) participants from the same company a 10% discount is available on the total cost, before the VAT and HRDA subsidy. This discount only applies for participants who enrol in the same webinar, on the same day. This discount can only be combined with the early bird discount and the HRDA subsidy, when applicable.
- For individuals/legal entities who/which register in more than two (3+) webinars during the same semester (January-June & July-December), a 10% discount is available on the total cost, before the VAT and HRDA subsidy. This discount only applies for individuals/legal entities who/which enrol in more than two (3+) webinars during the same semester, on the same day. This discount can only be combined with the early bird discount and the HRDA subsidy, when applicable.
- There is a 10% discount for alumni members. This discount should be applied before the VAT and HRDA subsidy and can only be combined with the early bird discount and the HRDA subsidy, when applicable. For more information on our alumni scheme, click here.
- There is a 10% early bird discount on selected webinars for participants who enrol in a training course until a specific date which is stated above. This discount should be applied before the VAT and HRDA subsidy and can only be combined with the HRDA subsidy, when applicable.
- HRDA subsidy for all HRDA approved webinars.
For any queries, please contact Irini Avraam on +357 22 207 460 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CPD: This webinar may contribute to Continuing Professional Development requirements. Shortly after the webinar’s date, participants will receive electronically a certificate of attendance confirming the total number of training hours (6,5 CPD)
Board Member, Deal Advisory, KPMG in Cyprus
Christophoros is a Board Member at KPMG in Cyprus and has over 20 years of experience in the field of Deal Advisory Services. He has been involved in valuations, mergers and acquisitions, privatisations, financing and restructuring projects. In addition, Christophoros provided services for several public and private companies operating in different sectors, including financial services, retail, real estate, manufacturing, tourism, energy and more. Through this wide hands-on experience, he has gained unique in-depth knowledge of the business dynamics in practical situations.
Christophoros has a BSc in Economics (Accounting and Finance) from the London School of Economics, is a fellow Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (FCA) and holds the Corporate Finance qualification (CFq) from the same Institute. He is also a licensed Insolvency Practitioner.
Christophoros has been a trainer of several seminars relating to valuation, M&A, restructuring and financing. In 2015, he was certified by the HRDA as a “Trainer of Vocational Training”.
Board Member, Direct Tax, KPMG in Cyprus
Katerina graduated with a BA (Hons) in Economics from the University of East Anglia in the UK. She is a Fellow Member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (FCCA) and an ADIT graduate. Additionally, she is a member of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Cyprus (ICPAC) and a certified “Trainer of Vocational Training” by the HRDA.
Katerina joined KPMG in Cyprus in 1995, where she worked in the Audit Department prior to moving to Tax Services. Her portfolio of clients consists of companies listed in the Cyprus Stock Exchange, as well as medium and large companies, both local and international.
Katerina possesses experience in the Investment, Real Estate, Insurance and Retail industries. She is experienced in direct tax compliance services and actively participates in assisting clients to identify and set their tax liabilities during their tax examination by the Tax Department.
Board Member, IFRS 9 and IFRS 17 implementation leader, Audit, KPMG in Cyprus
Pangratios joined KPMG in Cyprus in 2003 and became a Board Member in 2017. He holds a BA in Accounting & Finance from Lancaster University and is an Associate member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.
Pangratios possesses versatile industry experience deriving from sectors such as the financial services, consumer products, airline transport industry, agriculture and food and beverages. In 2014, he was pivotal in the creation of the KPMG Enterprise and Startups team of KPMG in Cyprus, for which he acts as the team leader.
He is actively involved in the group which offers training and support within KPMG in Cyprus, as well as in the DPP (Accounting) of KPMG in Cyprus, which provides insights, consultation and training on financial reporting issues both internally and externally. Pangratios is the implementation leader and contact person on IFRS 17 and IFRS 9 matters of KPMG Cyprus IFRS Helpdesk team. In addition, he is currently the Chairman of the Accounting Committee of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Cyprus.
Principal, Deal Advisory, KPMG in Cyprus
Christina is a Principal in the Deal Advisory department at KPMG in Cyprus and has more than 10 years of experience in the provision of financial advisory services. She has been involved in the debt restructuring of companies, preparation of financial models for operational and financial restructuring, corporate restructurings (mergers, divisions, exchange of shares) for public and private companies within various sectors
During the last 4 years Christina was seconded to one of the biggest banks in Cyprus, where she was acting as an external advisor of the Debt Recovery Department assisting in the reduction of non-performing loans. At the same time, she was heading the Insolvency Unit for Small-Medium Entities (SME) and Retail Loans of this bank.
Christina has a ΒSc in Economics from the London School of Economics. She is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (FCA) and is a licensed Insolvency Practitioner in Cyprus. Moreover, she has passed Level 1 exams to become a Chartered Financial Analyst.
Senior Manager, Accounting Advisory, Member of DDP (Accounting), KPMG in Cyprus
Maria graduated from the University of Cyprus with a BSc in Economics. She qualified as an Associate member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales in 2010. In addition, she obtained the Fraud Examiner certification in 2016 from the American Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE). Maria has been working at KPMG in Cyprus for more than ten years.
Maria has a versatile industry experience in the financial services sector, as well as hotel, manufacturing and retail industries. During her career, she has proved to be turning knowledge into value, whilst providing on-the-job training to team members, in order to improve the quality of audit files. In addition, Maria has offered technical, accounting and training support to KPMG employees as well as KPMG clients.
Maria is currently in-charge of the Accounting Advisory Services focusing on IFRS 9 Financial Instruments and IFRS 17 Insurance contracts. She possesses advanced knowledge related to IFRSs.
The programme has been approved by the HRDA. Enterprises participating with their employees who satisfy HRDA’s criteria, are entitled to subsidy.