Accounting for non-accountants
Monday, 12 October 2020 | 9:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. | 6,5 CPD | KPMG Offices, Nicosia
Monday, 12 October 2020 | 9:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. | 6,5 CPD | KPMG Offices, Nicosia
In today’s demanding and fast-paced business world, it is considered imperative that professionals and management staff possess the necessary skills and knowledge in order to interpret accounting and financial data. The trainers of the seminar, who are Board Members of KPMG in Cyprus, aim to provide participants with the basic skills and knowledge required to understand financial statements. The seminar will also give participants the opportunity to familiarise themselves with the operational cycle of a business considering risk, financial and investment appraisal factors.
Please note that KPMG will offer this training as a webinar, if health considerations and government restrictions require this adjustment. In such a case, the webinar will be conducted in two sessions, on 12 (morning) and 13 (afternoon) of October 2020. Further information will be communicated to you in due course.
By the end of the seminar, participants will be in a position to:
- Describe and apply the basic accounting and financial principles
- Explain the stages of a business’s life cycle
- Acknowledge the substance of the operational and financial risk
- Read and analyse a set of financial statements
- Get familiar with the basic tools for investment analysis and appraisal
- Be aware of the dates for tax and financial statements submission
The seminar is addressed to management staff, Directors of departments and other professionals who do not deal in depth with accounting matters or do not possess a qualification on accounting, Lawyers, Legal Advisors, Officers at financial institutions (such as Banks, Insurance Companies, etc.) as well as professionals and business owners who wish to improve their accounting and financial skills and knowledge.
*The number of participants is restricted to 28.
1. Introduction: Seminar’s objectives (10 min)
- Assist participants to comprehend the basic principles of accounting
- Improve participants’ capacity in understanding the basic financial principles
2. Accounting and finance (2 hrs)
- "Accounting”, “Finance” and other useful definitions
- Fair values
- Business combinations
- A set of financial statements: contents
- Financial risks and credit risks
3. Reading and understanding a set of financial statements (1 hr & 40 min)
- Comprehending and investigating the balance sheet statement, profit or loss, other comprehensive income statement and cash flow statement
- Key financial ratios/indicators
- Ratio analysis and practical examples
4. Corporate finance (1 hr & 40 min)
- Business life cycle
- Costing and budgeting
- Corporate finance methods
- Investment analysis and assessment: short and medium term investments
- Business analysis – basic principles
- Creditworthiness and ability to borrow
5. Regulatory environment (45 min)
- Tax compliance and statements submission requirements to Τax Department and other authorities
- Requirement to prepare financial statements
- Management report
- Auditors report
- General Healthcare System and other requirements
6. Conclusions (15 min)
- Questions and answers.
The programme has been approved by the HRDA. Enterprises participating with their employees who satisfy HRDA’s criteria, are entitled to subsidy. Please note that there are limited seats available therefore enrol in this seminar as soon as possible.
If you do not receive our confirmation e-mail regarding your registration, your participation cannot be guaranteed.
€250 + VAT. Net investment after subsidy from the HRDA of €110,50: €187 (including VAT) for all eligible participants*
Individuals/legal entities will receive a 10% discount on their registration fees for the “Accounting for non-Accountants” seminar if they also register, within the same day, for the “Benchmark interest rates reform – how ready are you?” webinar. Kindly note that this discount applies if the interested parties, attend both trainings. In addition, this discount can only be combined with the early bird discount and the HRDA subsidy, when applicable.
*Last Date for 10% Early Bird Discount: 21/09/2020
- For more than two (3+) participants from the same company a 10% discount is available on the total cost, before the VAT and HRDA subsidy. This discount only applies for participants who enrol in the same seminar/webinar, on the same day. This discount can only be combined with the early bird discount and the HRDA subsidy, when applicable.
- For individuals/legal entities who/which register in more than two (3+) seminars/webinars during the same semester (January-June & July-December), a 10% discount is available on the total cost, before the VAT and HRDA subsidy. This discount only applies for individuals/legal entities who/which enrol in more than two (3+) seminars/webinars during the same semester, on the same day. This discount can only be combined with the early bird discount and the HRDA subsidy, when applicable.
- There is a 10% discount for alumni members. This discount should be applied before the VAT and HRDA subsidy and can only be combined with the early Bird discount and the HRDA subsidy, when applicable.
- There is a 10% Early bird discount on selected seminars/webinars for participants who enrol in a training course until a specific date which is stated above. This discount should be applied before the VAT and HRDA subsidy and can only be combined with the HRDA subsidy, when applicable.
- HRDA subsidy for all HRDA approved seminars/webinars.
For any queries, please contact Irini Avraam on +357 22 207 460 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CPD: This seminar may contribute to Continuing Professional Development requirements. At the end of the seminar participants will be given a certificate of attendance confirming the total number of training hours (6,5 CPD).
Board Member, Deal Advisory, KPMG in Cyprus
Christophoros is a Board Member at KPMG in Cyprus and has over 20 years of experience in the field of Deal Advisory Services. He has been involved in valuations, mergers and acquisitions, privatisations, financing and restructuring projects. He provided services for several public and private companies operating in different sectors, including financial services, retail, real estate, manufacturing, tourism, energy and more. Through this wide hands-on experience, he has gained unique in-depth knowledge of the business dynamics in practical situations.
Christophoros has a BSc in Economics (Accounting and Finance) from the London School of Economics, is a fellow Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (FCA) and holds the Corporate Finance qualification (CFq) from the same Institute. He is also a licensed Insolvency Practitioner.
Christophoros has been a trainer on a number of seminars relating to valuation, M&A, Restructuring and Financing. In 2015, he was certified by the HRDA as a “Trainer of Vocational Training”.
Board Member, IFRS 9 and IFRS 17 implementation leader, Audit, KPMG in Cyprus
Pangratios has been working with KPMG in Cyprus since 2003 and became a Board Member in 2017. He holds a BA in Accounting & Finance from Lancaster University and is an Associate member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.
Pangratios possesses versatile industry experience from the financial services sector, consumer products, as well as more specialised sectors such as the airline transport industry, agriculture and food and beverages. In 2014, he was pivotal in the creation of the KPMG Enterprise and Startups team of KPMG in Cyprus, for which he is currently the team leader.
He is actively involved in the group which provides training and support within KPMG in Cyprus, as well as in the DPP (Accounting) of KPMG in Cyprus, which provides insights, consultation and training on financial reporting issues both internally and externally. He is the implementation leader and contact person on IFRS 17 and IFRS 9 matters of KPMG Cyprus IFRS Helpdesk team. Pangratios is currently the Chairman of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Cyprus’ Accounting Committee.
Board Member, Direct Tax, KPMG in Cyprus
Katerina graduated with a BA (Hons) in Economics from the University of East Anglia in the UK. She is a Fellow Member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (FCCA) and an ADIT graduate. Additionally, she is a member of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Cyprus (ICPAC) and a certified “Trainer of Vocational Training” by the HRDA.
Katerina joined KPMG in Cyprus in 1995, where she worked in the Audit Department prior to moving to Tax Services. Her portfolio of clients consists of companies listed in the Cyprus Stock Exchange, as well as medium and large companies, both local and international.
Katerina possesses experience in the Investment, Real Estate, Insurance and Retail industries. She is experienced in direct tax compliance services and actively participates in assisting clients to identify and set their tax liabilities during their tax examination by the Tax Department.
Principal, Deal Advisory, KPMG in Cyprus
Christina is a Principal in the Deal Advisory department at KPMG in Cyprus and has more than 10 years of experience in the provision of financial advisory services. She has been involved in the debt restructuring of companies, preparation of financial models for operational and financial restructuring, corporate restructurings (mergers, divisions, exchange of shares) for public and private companies within various sectors.
During the last 4 years Christina was seconded to one of the biggest banks in Cyprus, where she was acting as an external advisor of Debt Recovery Department assisting in the reduction of non-performing loans. At the same time, she was heading the Insolvency Unit for Small-Medium Entities (SME) and Retail Loans of this bank.
Christina has a ΒSc in Economics from the London School of Economics. She is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (FCA) and is a licensed Insolvency Practitioner in Cyprus. Moreover, she has passed Level 1 exams of the professional qualification Chartered Financial Analyst.
Assistant Manager, Accounting Advisory Services, KPMG in Cyprus
Christos possesses 5 years of experience in the field of Audit and Accounting Advisory.
More specifically, he has extensive experience in the provision of accounting advisory services related to accounting changes and interpretation on IFRSs, the development of tailored solutions for Mutual Fund accounting and IFRS 9 for non-financials. In addition, Christos has been involved in special projects relevant to banking restructurings and securitisations.
Christos has provided audit services for Listed and other Public Interest Entities in the banking, insurance, mutual funds and technology industries.
Christos seeks to contribute to the financial world by disseminating the medium of exchange of information, which is applicable to the financial sector, i.e. the Accounting Language. Furthermore, he has a particular interest in the eSports industry and hyper-efficient, digital markets.
14 Esperidon Street
The programme has been approved by the HRDA. Enterprises participating with their employees who satisfy HRDA’s criteria, are entitled to subsidy.