FAQs on Elite Programme
FAQs on Elite Programme
Have a question about applying for the KPMG Elite programme? Check out the list below with answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Have a question about applying for the KPMG Elite programme?
- If I am a year 3 student, can I apply for the KPMG Elite programme?
Unfortunately, we do not recommend that you apply in this case, as the KPMG Elite programme takes three years to complete. We suggest that you apply for our summer/winter internship instead, which runs from four to eight weeks. Upon completing the internship, you will be offered a graduate position should you meet our requirements.
- If I am participating in an overseas exchange programme in year 2 (or year 3), can I still apply for the KPMG Elite programme?
If your overseas exchange programme clashes with our engagement season (Jan – March), it will be difficult for you to complete the entire KPMG Elite programme. However, you may re-schedule your overseas exchange programme, allowing you to benefit from both.
- Does the selection process for the KPMG Elite programme give preference to postgraduates over undergraduates?
No, we treat all graduates equally and consider all aspects - this includes additional years of study from postgraduate applicants, as well as volunteer and extracurricular activities, all of these are advantageous for applicants in the selection process.
- How can I apply?
We only accept online applications. Please complete the online application form before the deadline.
- After submitting the application, when will I be informed regarding the aptitude tests?
We will contact you in due course should you be shortlisted. You may consult our local recruitment team for any questions regarding your application status.
- Can I apply to work in a particular city if I am not currently located there?
We recommend that students apply for the KPMG Elite programme in the same location as they are studying, as we believe students should remain close to their university during the course of the programme. Students applying to PRC offices should have the right of abode in their chosen location, for example, PRC nationals are welcome to apply to work for any of our locations in the PRC. Students applying to our Hong Kong office must hold a permanent Hong Kong Identification Card or a valid work permit.
- If I am studying in Shanghai but my family is in Beijing, can I apply for the Programme in Beijing?
We recommend students to apply the KPMG Elite programme in the same location as they are studying, as we believe students should remain close to their university during the course of the programme.
- If I fail the KPMG Elite programme, can I still apply for KPMG’s internship or graduate recruitment programme?
Yes. The screening result of the KPMG Elite programme does not affect your application for other KPMG programmes. Each programme in KPMG has different requirements and we consider each application based on those specific requirements.
- Who should apply for the KPMG Elite programme?
We welcome students from all disciplines who have good academic records, demonstrate strong communication skills, have an interest in business and the industries in which KPMG operates. We are targeting year-2 Bachelor students or Masters students. Your academic results and past work experience and activities will also be considered as selection criteria in your application.
- What are the characteristics of an ideal candidate?
The ideal candidate is someone who is hardworking, a team player and is able to manage both university studies and KPMG Elite programme responsibilities. We are looking for people who want to grow with KPMG and are passionate about becoming highly skilled young professionals.
- Does KPMG require a high level of English proficiency?
As a firm that operates on a global scale, English is important to us. A high level of English proficiency is necessary for the job; we have staff with diverse backgrounds and clients from all over the world. However, we will provide you with the training and development to support your improvement over time. In the meantime, we encourage you to use simple English in your application and during interviews.
- Is KPMG recruiting students from all universities?
We encourage students from all universities to apply. As it's important for students to balance the KPMG Elite programme and academic study schedule, we recommend that you discuss the programme and its demands with your professors before applying.
- Do I need to attend an interview if I pass the aptitude tests?
Shortlisted candidates who pass aptitude tests will participate in group discussions.
- How many students will be selected at each selection stage?
There is no specific percentage of shortlisted candidates to be selected at each selection stage. We consider the performance of each candidate individually and select those who meet our requirements.
About the programme
- Do I need to do two internships for the KPMG Elite programme?
It is not mandatory for you to do both internships during your year-3 and year-4 winter holiday. However, the KPMG Elite programme is designed to assess you early on so that we can offer you a position with us after year 3. If you cannot join the first internship in year 3 from January to March/April, we suggest that you apply for another programme.
- What are the criteria of joining as a 2nd year accountant / tax Consultant after the completion of the programme?
Students with an outstanding performance during the required internship period and a successful partner interview will have opportunity to join as a 2nd year accountant / tax consultant upon the completion of the entire programme and graduation.
- Is the KPMG Elite programme open for all audit, tax and advisory practices? Do we have an option of which practice we can work in?
We are currently focusing on the audit and tax practice, you can apply for the program in one practice according to your own career path.
- How long is the engagement period?
The engagement period will last from January to March/April. During that period you will work with us on a full-time basis.
- Will I be expected to work overtime in during the engagement season?
Yes, there may be a need to work overtime. Upon approval, overtime during engagements will be paid.
- Will there be possibilities to work in other KPMG offices?
Yes, depending on the nature of the client you will be servicing, it is possible for you to be assigned to other cities or offices.
- Which locations offer this programme?
Openings are available in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong.
- Will the KPMG Elite programme replace other KPMG programmes, e.g. the KPMG summer internship?
The KPMG summer internship will remain open for penultimate year students, it is a 4–8 week internship from July to August.