Balancing third parties risk and return
A company’s use of third parties does not diminish the responsibility of its board.View PDF
Leading insights to help board members face today’s boardroom challenges.
Drawing on insights from KPMG’s latest survey work and interactions with Board members and business leaders, we have crystallized the following eight burning topics for Boards to keep in mind as they consider and carry out their 2022 agendas.
1. Intensify the Board’s involvement in strategy and visions for the future
2. Embed ESG issues into risk and strategy discussions
3. Engage proactively with shareholders, activists, and other stakeholders
4. Make talent, human capital management and CEO succession a priority
5. Approach cybersecurity and data privacy holistically as data governance
6. Reassess the company’s crisis prevention and readiness efforts
7. Help set the tone and closely monitor the culture of the organization
8. Think strategically about talent and diversity in the boardroom.
For more details about these topics, download the Board Agenda 2022.
The role of the Audit Committee is becoming increasingly demanding in a rapidly changing environment. Good corporate governance, which includes an external audit of the financial statements, is vital in safeguarding one of the most important corporate assets: Trust.
We provide guidance and resources for audit committees, helping to facilitate the skills and knowledge required.
The new reality presents a unique opportunity to reshape the board composition whilst working towards providing truly equal opportunity to reach a boardroom that is fit for the future. We explore what’s on the agenda for nomination committees for 2022:
- Skillsets to expand and enhance ESG oversight
- ESG board organization – dealing with overlaps
- Enriching board decision-making through visible and invisible diversity
- Move the dial on gender
- Tone at the top – it’s all about managing reputation
- Board skills required to support growth
- Succession planning – a number one priority
- Planning for increasingly active investors
Companies are adjusting to the new reality that will impact the economy and their business. Remuneration committees had to make adjustments to their annual agenda and are proactively tracking the impact these changes have on remuneration policies and their implementation. We have highlighted seven areas to keep in mind as remuneration committees consider and carry out their 2022 agendas:
- Prominence of the Environmental and Social (E&S) agenda
- Decisions for or against “shared burden” approaches
- Improving transparency around pay decisions
- Expanded remit of remuneration committees
- Innovative incentive arrangements
- Reputational risks and the fairness agenda
- Investor involvment
Boards should seek to achieve diversity in the widest sense. Beyond gender and racial diversity, diversity in skills, thought, experience, and background are critical. Board composition should evolve to reflect the changing business and societal environment if the board is going to be effective in his role. This is an essential component for sustainable growth and remains front and center for investors, regulators and other stakeholders.Read more
ESG (Environment, Social, Governance) has become a strategic imperative. We want to share some of our insights and best practices to help you as a business leader fast-track your sustainability agenda. No matter where you are in your sustainability journey nor how ambitious your goals, our experts can help you uncover strategic advantages for your business in the long term. Check out the following topics or book a free ESG-readiness check:
- Vision 2030
- Strategy, risk, opportunities
- Supply Chain Management
- Sustainable Finance
- Reporting & Assurance
Digital disruption is changing the world in which we live and work. New technologies have created new markets that, in turn, create new competitors. To be ready for the future, board members should address the risks and opportunities arising for their companies at an early stage.
We take a business-first approach to advise you on digitalization, innovation and transformation. From data science and machine learning to agile software development on cloud platforms – our international team has an exceptional overview of innovative and emerging technologies. Discover our Center of Excellence for data-driven technology.
How do you access and exchange expertise on a range of board topics? Our Board Leadership Center is a dedicated platform for business leaders. It facilitates the sharing of knowledge and expertise in a trusted environment. If you’re a board member, this is your platform. Our resources, activities and events will help you on your leadership path, wherever it may take you.Watch our video
In-depth discussions and expert knowledge around the current topic of sustainability. Listen to our podcast series on sustainability for board members and stay informed. This series was launched in cooperation with the swissVR board association.
Our newsletter provides cutting-edge insights on current topics and challenges to help board members face today’s boardroom challenges.