12:30 minutes listen, Podcast in German
In this episode of KPMG Expert Talk, Silvan Jurt, Head of Sustainability at KPMG and Hans-Kristian Hoejsgaard, Chairman of the Calida Group, discuss why ESG should be a prime concern and a regular feature on every Board agenda.
This episode is part of our series on sustainability that KPMG has launched together with the swissVR board association.
"The discussion surrounding corporate purpose has changed dramatically over the last few years."
– Kristian Hoejsgaard, Calida Group Chairman and member of the Board at Barclays Bank Switzerland
Insights and takeaways
- Investing in sustainability is difficult to prioritize if a firm is not profitable. Yet firms that neglect ESG run the risk of being penalized by the market.
- The primary responsibility of a Board is to shape the strategy of a firm. This includes the integration of ESG issues as they take on a growing strategic relevance.
- The pressure to implement sustainable corporate governance is increasing from all angles – from customers, investors and politics. Society’s shifting awareness of sustainability topics has an increasing influence on the Board’s agenda.
- Producing long-lasting, high quality goods, the luxury goods industry is by nature predestined to embed ESG into the very essence of its corporate strategy.
- Hans-Kristian Hoejsgaard, Chairman of the Calida Group and member of the Board at Barclays Bank Switzerland
- Silvan Jurt, Partner at KPMG, Head Corporate Sustainability Services