Share with your friends

Canadian Companies — IRS Revises Employer Registration

Canadian Companies — IRS Revises Employer Registration

Canadian businesses operating in the United States may be affected by new changes to the process to obtain an employer identification number (EIN).


Related content

The IRS has announced that, beginning May 13, 2019, Canadian individuals who are listed as the "responsible party" for a business must obtain a U.S. Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) and include that information where the business makes a request for an EIN. Previously, Canadian "responsible parties" were able to indicate non-U.S. status instead of providing a U.S. ITIN.

Because obtaining an ITIN can be an onerous process, Canadian businesses that believe they may need an EIN in the near future should apply to the IRS before the rules change on May 13, 2019. The ITIN process can take several weeks, and may require individuals to present original documents to verify their identity and citizenship.

Download this edition of the TaxNewsFlash to learn more.

© 2020 KPMG LLP, a Canada limited liability partnership and a member firm of the KPMG network of independent member firms affiliated with KPMG International Cooperative (“KPMG International”), a Swiss entity. All rights reserved.

KPMG International Cooperative (“KPMG International”) is a Swiss entity.  Member firms of the KPMG network of independent firms are affiliated with KPMG International. KPMG International provides no client services. No member firm has any authority to obligate or bind KPMG International or any other member firm vis-à-vis third parties, nor does KPMG International have any such authority to obligate or bind any member firm.

Connect with us


Want to do business with KPMG?


loading image Request for proposal