Simon is a Partner with the Indirect Tax Group of KPMG Canada in Toronto, with a practice focused on insurance, banking and investment plans. He has 16 years of tax planning and policy experience. Before joining KPMG, Simon worked for the provincial government and practiced income tax for several years with one of Canada's leading law firms.
Simon advises some of the world’s largest banks on indirect tax compliance, product taxation and the Canadian GST/HST/QST impact of complex cross-border transactions. He is also one of Canada’s leading practitioners on the taxation of Fintech and the sharing economy.
Key engagements include:
- Advising some of the largest credit/charge card issuers in Canada on GST/HST recovery opportunities;
- Streamlining the indirect tax self-assessment process for a large Canadian bank;
- Assisting a number of credit unions with their indirect tax compliance obligations;
- Suggesting improvements to the billing systems of a large third-party administrator of group benefit plans to ensure the correct computation and collection of federal and provincial indirect taxes;
- Performing indirect tax due diligence and structuring work for three of the largest Canadian insurance acquisition deals in the last five years
J.D., University of Toronto
B.A., Middlebury College
CPA In-Depth Tax Course
CBA Tax Law for Lawyers Course
KPMG Global Indirect Tax Services Master Class
Member, Law Society of Ontario
Adjunct Professor (LL.M. Tax Program) , Allard school of law (UBC)
Member and KPMG representative, CPA Canada Commodity Tax Committee.