Zahra is an award-winning tax practitioner and former partner in the Toronto office of KPMG Law LLP. Prior to joining KPMG, Zahra was a partner in the Toronto office of a global law firm. She has almost 20 years of experience in Canadian corporate tax matters, which includes the structuring of mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations and financings.. Zahra’s current practice is focused on income tax matters with special emphasis on resource taxation. Although she has profound expertise in the mining industry, Zahra has a keen understanding of tax matters affecting Canadian businesses in a broad range of industries including telecommunications, manufacturing and technology.
Zahra is also responsible for managing the operation of our Student and Associate Programs. She oversees recruitment, training, mentoring and performance evaluations and liaises with law schools on student recruitment matters. Zahra is a dedicated and collaborative community leader and is passionate about mentoring and fostering diverse and inclusive teams.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Zahra currently serves as co-editor-in-chief for Resource Sector Taxation, a journal devoted to tax issues of interest to the resource sector, and is a contributing writer to the Thomson Reuters loose-leaf publication, Canadian Resource Taxation.
She is a past contributing writer for CCH Canadian Tax Reporter Commentary. She writes and speaks on taxation issues of relevance to the mining industry. A selection of her speaking engagements and publications includes:
- Practical Problems with Flow-Through Shares, Resource Sector Taxation, v.VII no.2 (2009) p.512.
- Tax Avoidance Transaction Reporting Regime: A Little Too Aggressive?, Resource Sector Taxation, v.VIII no.1 (2010) p.550.
- "Newmont Canada Corp. v. The Queen - Lessons Learned", Resource Sector Taxation, v. VIII no. 3 (2011) p. 596.
- "Exploration & Development: Available Incentives and Planning Considerations", Mining Taxation Strategies Infonex Conference, Toronto, October 23-24, 2012.
- "Stream Financing in Uncertain Times", The Northern Miner, March 3, 2017 (co-authored).
- KPMG Client Breakfast Seminar – “Canadian, US and Mexican Mining Tax Update”, March 6, 2017.
- "Current Tax Cases of Interest" - Tax Executives Institute Professional Development Day, April 6, 2017.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada as one of Canada’s leading lawyers in the area of Tax Law (2019 - 2021)
- Recognized by International Tax Review in the 2021 edition of “Women in Tax Leaders”.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada as one of Canada’s leading lawyers in the area of Tax Law (2014-2016).
- Recipient of Lexpert Magazine’s 2011 “Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40” award.
- DiverseCity Nexus 2009-2010 Co-hort.
- Taught at the University of Windsor's Faculty of Law and the Bar Admission Course.
BA (Honours), Carleton University
Masters, Environmental Studies, York University
LL.B., University of Windsor
Juris Doctor, University of Detroit Mercy
Called to the Ontario Bar in 2001
Women in Mining
Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
Member, Ontario Bar Association
Member for Communications & Publications, Aga Khan Council for Ontario.
Board Member and Chair of the Governance Committee, Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award (Ontario)