Duane has more than 15 years of experience of providing audit, accounting and advisory services in the financial services industry with clients in the banking, credit union, and asset management sectors. Duane is an IFRS conversion specialist and a Financial Instruments and Derivatives Specialist with vast experience with derivatives, hedging, securitization and financial instruments accounting. His experience on the audit includes working with senior executives from the Retail Banking and Wealth Management, Commercial Banking and Global Banking and Markets service lines.
Duane’s banking experience includes the following:
· Regulatory Compliance – Extensive understanding of the regulatory environment based on experience working with Canadian financial institutions to meet their regulatory and compliance obligations (i.e. OSFI, IIROC and MFDA.).
· Credit Processes and Asset Quality – Assessment of documentation and processes supporting the bank’s credit files and the processes for credit monitoring and reporting in the context of industry practices.
· Loan Loss Allowance – Assisting various lending institutions with benchmarking and evaluating their loan loss methodologies based on industry practices.
· Trading, Treasury and Market Risk and Controls – Providing subject matter expertise for the Capital Markets, Risk Management and Operations areas at several financial institutions.
· Valuation and Structured Products – Assessment of valuation methodologies for derivatives, structured credit products, asset backed securities and loans for major banking and audit clients.
Duane has his Chartered Financial Analyst (“CFA”) designation and is a member of the Board of Directors of CFA Vancouver, whose mission statement is to be the leading investment profession by promotion high ethical behavior and professional excellence. Duane is currently the Chair of the Finance and Governance Committee of the Vancouver chapter that services over 1200 members. His responsibilities include overseeing both CFA Vancouver’s financial and audit system for financial integrity and the process for monitoring compliance as it relates to financial integrity, and evaluating and monitoring CFA Vancouver’s financial, operating and legal risks. His responsibilities also include reviewing, monitoring and reporting on Governance issues, including improving board effectiveness and establishing a process for board evaluation and feedback.
Duane holds a number of leadership roles at KPMG including a senior position for his business unit which entails significant HR and leadership responsibilities, KPMG Campus Recruiter, and Chair of the KPMG Greater Vancouver Area CASB committee. Through these roles, he has been actively involved in the training and career development of KPMG employees.