Better business reporting
Better business reporting
Benefit from better internal and external business reporting with reduced volume, strategic alignment and clear communication of business performance.
Reap the benefits from better internal and external business reporting.
Competition for capital in today’s environment is fierce. Failure to communicate effectively with the capital markets can result in poor capital allocation decisions and a weak understanding by the capital markets of your businesses strategies and performance prospects.
There is growing acceptance that current financial and sustainability reporting practices are of limited use for those seeking to differentiate between competing investment opportunities or influence corporate reputation.
As a result, there is worldwide momentum towards better business reporting.
Businesses that make the transition towards improved communication with the capital markets now stand to reap significant benefits both now and in the future.
The journey to better business reporting
It begins by improving and consolidating what is already reported. This includes improvements to financial information, sustainability reports and management commentary.
The next step in the journey aims to overcome the limitations of today’s reporting model by incorporating forward-looking, strategic key performance indicators and using management commentary as an opportunity to bring this together.
The outcome for better business reporting is the development of a flagship business report that fully integrates critical business performance information, traditional financial reporting, management commentary and sustainability reporting to allow external analysts, investors and others to make informed judgements about the entity’s prospects.
The formation of the International Integrated Reporting Committee (IIRC) is one of the most significant developments in business reporting in recent years. The IIRC released the International Integrated Reporting Framework in December 2013.
The benefits of better business reporting
- more efficient capital allocation
- streamlined reporting processes
- reduced reporting costs
- enhanced organisational clarity in terms of business strategy and the business model.
How we can help
KPMG’s Better Business Reporting Group is at the forefront of business reporting developments worldwide. We work closely with the Business Reporting Leaders Forum in Australia and the IIRC on driving change in the format and process of business reporting.
- Corporate reporting: FY20 challenges, investors and other stakeholders drive the ASX200 to apply integrated reporting principles
ASX 200 corporate reporting trends in the year to 30 June 2020.
- Corporate reporting: good governance driving Australian organisations
ASX 200 corporate reporting trends in the year to 30 June 2019.
- Corporate reporting: rebuilding trust through improved transparency and insight
ASX 200 corporate reporting trends in the year to 30 June 2018.
- Corporate reporting: shifting towards integrated reporting principles
ASX 200 corporate reporting trends in the year to 30 June 2017.
- Corporate reporting: evolution and integration
A review of corporate reporting trends in the year to 30 June 2016 across the ASX 200 and beyond.
- A new era in corporate reporting
Review of recent corporate reporting and de-cluttering trends in the ASX 200 (2015)
- The KPMG survey of business reporting (2014)
- Operating and Financial Review
Application of ASIC’s regulatory guide (2014)
- CFOs driving the corporate reporting reform agenda
The Journey to Better Business Reporting continues (2014)
- Oversight of corporate reporting by company directors (2014) (PDF 620KB)
- Corporate reporting reform: Better alignment with investor decision-making (2014) (PDF 855KB)
- Integrated Reporting (Issue 2) (PDF 3.49MB)
Performance insight through Better Business Reporting (2012)
- The Journey to Better Business Reporting (PDF 574KB)
Moving beyond financial reporting to improve investment decision making (2011)
- Better Business Reporting (PDF 1.2MB)
Enhancing financial reporting (2011)
- Capital markets in the dark (PDF 4.2MB)
An unsustainable state of play
- Automating Business Reporting (PDF 1.1MB)
Performance insight through Better Business Reporting (2011)
- The Journey to Better Business Reporting (PDF 902KB)
Moving beyond financial reporting to improve investment decision making (2010)
- Better Business Reporting (PDF 952KB)
Enhancing financial reporting (2010)